Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Growth.

This is what I've been up to this week.

Last Thursday I took my first knitting class. I've wanted to learn for a long time, but knew that I wouldn't be able to teach myself. When I saw that a class was being offered through community education, I jumped to enroll. And, after my first class, I was right, there was no way that I was going to be able to figure this out on my own. 

The picture above is my first attempt at a scarf. When I write "first attempt" that really means my first project, fully admitting that I unraveled the whole thing at least four times and started over again. What you see is hours and hours of work. Hopefully I can get better...and faster...and maybe learn to make something useful. 

The desire to grow and learn is natural, but I have found that years can go by simply wishing for growth to materialize without making that first step and putting forth the effort. If being in a new location with little distraction in our lives is evidence of one thing, it's that the first step is ready and waiting for me. I only have to be brave enough to give it a try. 

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Love it!!

Theresa said...

SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! I have to laugh because I took my first knitting class through community ed exactly this time of year before Wyatt was born (on April 21st). How funny.
And the unraveling?....that's a good thing. You learn more and more with the mistakes you make and keep going. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It is such a beautiful craft.

Mallory said...

You have to start somewhere, right? I'm so relieved to hear that you learned recently--it gives me hope! My knitting goal is to learn enough to make hats and mittens...but right now I just know the one stitch. One thing at a time, right?

Too funny, I have nearly the same due date as Wyatt's birthday and everything. Super inspiring to hear that YOU started out recently, too, and you're SO good now!!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go! I have been meaning to dig out the "Learn to Crochet" kit I bought YEARS ago and I keep saying I am going to. Tonight I will! I would love to learn to knit too and make beautiful things for friends and family. I guess I just have to actually get started!

Lorrene

Theresa said...

i learned the knit stitch first too. if you can knit and purl, you can make darn near anything.
i was/AM obsessed with knitting. i actually dream about yarn sometimes. i get crabby when i haven't clicked my needles for a while. it's the first thing i do when i have a few extra minutes. heck....i'm so obsessed that we've invested in alpaca, carding, and spinning equipment. yeah....i should probably be in a support group or something. ;-)
be careful....it could happen to you too.
*i hope it does*

Google