Monday, March 9, 2009

Loathing

I can't understand it. I try, but I can't. I sit and think and attempt to challenge my thoughts, beliefs and feelings, try to put myself in a different lifestyle, with different values, and I still can't do it.

The only way I can wrap my head around it is if I simply don't care, like it doesn't matter, that we have no responsibility, no accountability, and that any means are necessary and acceptable regardless to the cost of humanity.

The President will overturn Bush's veto on embryonic stem-cell research. Tax dollars will now go toward the cultivation, experimentation, and ultimate destruction of human embryos. The President will help our society reduce human life to the status of lab rats.

As hard as I try, and as open-minded as I try to be, I cannot understand people who believe differently than me. Call me close-minded, call me a bigot, a conservative, uneducated, or a moral-based thinker, I can't do it. I don't understand and doubt I ever will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well written thought of the day. One question:

You can't understand the people who think differently than you, or you can't understand their ideas that are different than yours?

As I noted on f-book, Obama's decision is a sad victory of politics over science and ethics. Yet, he phrases it as restoring the "integrity of science". This is how easy it is to mislead the masses, and he's an expert at it.

Mallory said...

I can understand in a generic way that people think differently from me and come from a thousand different backgrounds and points of view. This is a good thing by and large and is what "makes the world go 'round," so to speak.

What I fail to grasp is how someone can think differently than me on a topic of this magnitude. For me it is not only a matter of right and wrong, but good and bad. How can someone believe something so intrinsically bad is actually good? I stretch and I try, but I cannot understand. It's very challenging because I find I end up judging a person based soley on the issues that they espouse, in a case like this. In my head I think, how in the world can a decent, educated, good person ever think that what they advocate is not only acceptable, but something good.

Google