Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mother's Day Out

In this book I'm reading, which has come highly recommended by nearly every Catholic mother I know, there is a part of it that I have wrestled with since reading. The intent of the book is to help mothers use their days effectively by scheduling necessary events coupled with prayer, leisure and nurturing of a mother and child's soul. 

The author in book has a regularly kept day off. Every other Saturday is her "Mother's Day Out," where she leaves the house for the entire day. She doesn't run errands, take children with her, or have an agenda other than to recharge, regroup and take much-needed time for herself away from the demands of children and family life. She makes it clear that she doesn't go for coffee and come home, she goes the entire day, returning the earliest at 3pm, but most often after the dinner hour. 

My first thought when I read this was, sadly, that I wouldn't even know what to do with myself if I had a day alone. Do I even know how to window shop, get my hair done, go out to lunch, go to Confession, or have private prayer time without the constant interruption of responsibility

The author is very blunt in the difficulty this "day off" caused in her marriage at first. Her husband didn't like being left alone with five children all day, had things to do, and didn't want her to leave. Even so, they stuck it out, and year after year the tradition of "Mother's Day Out" held, knowing that for them it was necessary for this busy and overworked mother. 

A few weeks ago my attitude was less than positive, and I was just tired. I kept finding that while home all day with the kids I was trying in little ways to get away from them. I tried to fold laundry with the bedroom door shut. I tried putting on movies for them, or taking an extra long time on the computer. I was just burned out. I had been over six weeks since I had been anywhere without them or had a break. 

Then, on an especially grumpy Saturday Mark politely suggested, "Why don't you just go somewhere?" Where to go? I was -10 below and I didn't know a soul. Desperate for the time away, I hopped in the car and went to the movie theater...alone. I didn't know whether to feel happy or sorry for myself, but there I sat with my popcorn, alone at the big screen on Saturday night. It was humbling, but I needed it. 

A "Mother's Day Out" could mean a lot of different things for different mothers. We have different needs and demands. Some need more time off, some less, but I think the objective is that they need it in some form or another. Just my admission that I wouldn't even know how to spend time away is proof that it's needed. We forget in this season of life that we are more than diapers, wipes, dinner, and preschool. It's difficult to remember, but we are

A very wise clergy member once shared with me that one of the biggest priorities for ministry in our new church was to help pastor mothers. He explained how much spiritual, emotional and intellectual nourishment was necessary for them while raising children. "It is a priority to cultivate the entire person," he shared, "When a woman is done raising children, we have to make sure that there is something left of her." It is so easy to forget that our identity is more than our role to our family, and as devoted to them as we are, there are still parts of our hearts that are need growth.

It's a tall order, and something I could go on and on about. Something to reflect on for sure, especially during this Lenten season when we are called to both sacrifice for others (which can be done in the home easily for mothers), but also to deepen our relationship with God and spend added time in prayer, which might require time away, especially for those with little ones.

There's no easy way around it--mothers at home, mothers away. It's all challenging in this season. However, as I prepare myself and our family for another child, I see more and more the necessity of keeping a Mother's Heart in the right place, which, for me, might be as simple as a cup of coffee and the book above.  

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Absolutely loved that book. I wish I could find the courage to really implement it in my life. I think I cried reading the back cover in the bookstore ;)

Sarah said...

Mallory - I can relate in so many ways . . . right down to being alone at the movie theater. You nailed this. Thank you for your honesty.

Detta said...

Mallory, Thank you for posting this!

For Lent this year, one of my resolutions was to read/study my vocation as a wife, mother, and daughter of God. This book was at the top of my list and I'm currently 1/2 way trough it. What an inspiring read!

I have been having a lot of conversations with my hub about the "5 P's" and incorporating them into, not only my life, but our childrens lives, and his life as well. Good stuff!

I actually had the exact same thought when I read the section on mdo..."what in the world would I do?"... so I sat there and brainstormed and came up with quite a long list...I almost felt guilty about the number of things I'd LOVE to have the opportunity to do sans babes...and even without my husband!

I have been going to spiritual direction and realized this "need" several months ago but didn't actually know HOW or if I was ALOUD to fill it. I think the "mother's day out" is just the thing!

Anonymous said...

I may not take a full day off as often as the author of the book, but my husband INSISTS I get one evening off every week! It is usually Wednesday nights, sometimes what I am going to do is already pre-planned with my book club or Audubon meeting; other times I just go to the coffee shop, library, do some shopping or go to a movie (I happen to love going to a movie by myself!).
So if you cannot imagine taken a whole day, at least try for an evening. It makes a world of difference for me and I even though I still feel guilty sometimes about taking the time, I am so thankful that my wonderful husband MAKES me do it! Good luck!

Lorrene

Mallory said...

Lorrene, that is WONDERFUL! It's easy to forget our other interests and hobbies when we're so devoted to our children, but I'm honestly refreshed to hear that you've kept yours, even if it was at your husband's insistence. Question though, did you leave without the kids when you were nursing them as infants? How did that work with your husband? Genuinely curious, because it's tough sometimes to watch after infants who are breastfeeding.

To the others, thank you for the comments, it looks like we can all relate to each other in one way or another. I wish you all lived closer and we could have little MDO's together. Ahh...

Anonymous said...

Mallory,

No, I didn't get many nights out when nursing. I had 2 kids who refused bottles of any sort, size or variety - it was MOM or nothing, much to my dismay at times. Not until they were on some solids was I able to get away more, but even then I usually needed to be there for bedtime. Maybe a Saturday morning would work better for you as a nursing mom, just a few hours away. Hope you can schedule that for your sake!

Lorrene

Google