Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Full Disclosure.

I've kept it no secret on this blog that I...ahem...pack it on during the course of my pregnancies. The first time around was ridiculous, the second time around was ridiculous, although a bit more reasonable, and now for the third I'm resigned to believing that a solid 45lb weight gain is really the bare minimum I need to gain in order to grow healthy babies.

I swear, I honestly don't go nuts and eat everything in sight, but at the same time, I'm hungry a lot, and can easily out-eat just about anyone in sight. For the most part I fill up on healthy foods. I eat organic, slow-cooking rolled oats for breakfast, I always eat fruits and vegetables with my lunch, and a refined carbohydrate rarely makes an appearance at our dinner table (the exception being take out pizza, Chinese, etc.).

I do, however, have one horribly unhealthy craving. It's something I never eat when I'm not pregnant, but when I am, it becomes an obsession. Yes, an obsession. I can't even think about this food without obsessing over it, and once it's in my head, I will stop at nothing to make sure I fulfill the craving.

The culprit: Brown Sugar

During my first pregnancy, this craving caught me by surprise during the last trimester. I was alone one morning in our apartment and felt particularly compelled to bring a bag to brown sugar and a spoon to the couch while I watched television. For the next ten weeks until I delivered a day didn't go by where I could go without eating a spoonful. I managed a little better on the second pregnancy, but sure enough, around week 33 the craving hit me hard, and the only food that could bring me out of the depths of brown sugar addiction were egg-shaped Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

For this pregnancy, my brown sugar addiction is out of control. I sneak spoonfuls and eat it plain when the kids aren't looking, and I'm constantly looking for ways to add it to my food. On top of strawberries? Sure! A few tablespoons on a cup of oatmeal? Why not! In a cup of tea? A great idea! In a bowl plain as a bedtime snack? Can't hurt!

The funny thing is that I don't even like sugary foods, so this is way out of character for me. Now, when I deliver my 9lb baby, you'll know exactly how I pulled that one off.

10 comments:

Theresa said...

Brown sugar. Wow. That's a new one. Good luck with getting around that one.
Next pregnancy try to plan during the summer months because then you get all the sweetness in fresh fruits. When I was pregnant with Hayden (b.Nov4th) the only thing that would stop my insane dark chocolate cravings was A LOT of watermelon. And when I say a lot I mean like 1/3 of a watermelon. But it worked.
Happy cravings!
You are almost there......

Elizabeth said...

This made me smile! I love your honesty!!

Sarah said...

Glad I'm not the only one . . . though you saw my big "salty food" reveal today. And I know about "packing on the pounds." On my #2 I hit the 50lb mark and then stopped counting. My Mom recently told me that my grandmother (who is almost 90 and fit and skinny) used to do the exact same thing . . . with all 8 pregnancies! We're in good company I suppose :)

Lorrene said...

Yes, that would result in a few pounds! Funny the things our pregnant bodies make us crave!

Anonymous said...

Ha Mal!!! In a bowl plain is my favorite for you!! My cravings are pretty salty...hamburgers..hamburgers..hamburgers! Also, I guess i am having some random ones like bread with butter..has to be fresh french bread with tons of butter...mmmm...my biggest weight gain was with kayla at 47 pounds..i have gained 9 already..yikes!!
maria

Catie H said...

Love this post, Mallory! So cute :)

Ok, here's my boring science part first:

Brown sugar comes (at least partially) from Molasses, as you probably know.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_sugar

Molasses, particularly Blackstrap Molasses, is a GREAT source of iron!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molasses

Could very-pregnant Mallory be craving iron at the end of her pregnancy? I think maybe! (At least I love a dietary excuse--I mean reason--for cravings. :) Maybe try Blackstrap Molasses from a spoon and see how you like it? I know some women who use it to sweeten their tea simply for the iron benefit.

And now the fun part: A household sister of mine came up with this great Brownsugar Cookie recipe. They truly melt in your mouth. Enjoy!

2/3 c. butter/shortening/margarine
*I always use butter!
3/4 c. brown sugar (packed)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c. flour

cream wet ingredients, sift together dry ingredients, then combine the two gradually. drop on ungreased cookie sheets. bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. makes about 2 1/2 dozen 2 inch cookies.

Mallory said...

Oh my gosh, Catie! This is awesome! I mentioned my brown sugar obsession to my midwife and she kinda shrugged it off laughing and said, "Hey, it's got more iron than white sugar," so I think you must have something there! A little more iron can't hurt, right?

I'm seriously going to try these cookies VERY soon. You know, tomorrow is the Feast of the Annuciation, which means that fasting and abstinence during Lent don't apply. Hmmm....maybe some cookies are in order. I'm far too weak. Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

I am in full agreement with Catie....I was gonna write before I read her post that when Paul was in Med School, he heard of brown sugar cravings, along with the red dirt....But, yes, I would look at it this way...the molasses (this will amuse you...I use to make my own brown sugar)....is very good for you, not only for the iron; but did you know there are cultures that take a spoonful a day to keep their hair from going grey?....I am so impressed with all you are doing. Although, I wish you were down here so I could take care of you with meals:) Love to you....Mom S.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yea, forgot to add...Paula Deen has a recipe for "Brown Sugar Pound Cake"....yum:) Mom S.

Abby said...

You are so cute and witty. :) Love this post.. and brown sugar!!!!

Google