Thursday, March 17, 2011

Just a month...or so.

This week it happened. We all knew it was coming; it comes at different times for different people. But on Tuesday I told Mark those fateful words, "I'm ready to not be pregnant anymore."

He was most understanding, and even cheered me on for getting to this point with just a month (or so...) left of this pregnancy, as opposed to some people who are mentally and physically spent with months and months to go.

I explained it to him simply: Two weeks ago I was fine, but two weeks later I'm bigger, and I feel it in every bone of my body. The boys have no more lap to sit on, simple tasks are becoming difficult ones, and sleep just isn't happening. I take the last walk down the stairs at night grimacing with every step, and then wake up in the morning contemplating for a second if I was in a bar fight the night before.

I have healthy pregnancies and healthy children, and I realize that I don't have a lot to complain about, but still, it doesn't mean that mothers during their last month of pregnancy don't go through their own emotional and physical battles.

A few years ago a dear family member gave me this book (more like a pamphlet, but still good). It's perfect for Lent, and even more perfect for Lent when you're pregnant. Keeping my small sufferings in check with a bigger picture (i.e., Christ's suffering on the Cross), has helped me immensely in realizing that my suffering will bring forth new life, and to join that to Christ's suffering who gave us life. Nothing like a mother's prayer book to keep perspective.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i gave this to leah a few years ago and i LOVE IT...i'm praying it daily as well! hope you continue to carry this temporary cross with grace and that baby is a beautiful end of lent for you! much love!
maria

Mallory said...

Incidentally, Leah is the wonderful mother who gave this book to me :-) . It's a daily companion of mine these few weeks.

Google