Thursday, March 13, 2008

Informer

I love to watch Oprah. I'm not a talk show junkie, but most of the time I find her shows highly interesting, and sometimes...inspiring. Having said that, I remain very weary of the beliefs she espouses on her viewers from the books she endorses and the therapists she uses for consultation. The gist of her message always seems to be "the answer to your problems is that you don't love yourself enough, and...be your own god, your own authority, salvation..." Here is an article about her recent endeavour with a new book club hit A New Earth.

I'm still drinking my coffee and can't quite find the words to express my fear with new-age spirituality, so I'll quote Oprah from the article summing up the Christianity which she feels needs to occur for all of us "old church" kind of people.

"The old way is the hierarchy has the authority. Church authorities tell you how to worship in church and how to behave outside of church. The new spirituality is that you are your own best authority as you work to know and love yourself, you discover how to live a more spiritual life."

Oprah's got it all figured out. Good for her.

No comments:

Google