Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Motherhood

My little guy just turned nine months old. He laughs, babbles, waves and walks around furniture. In so many ways he is pure delight. He has a goofy grin and lives to play with his big brother. He has two teeth on the bottom and I can the see the whites of his two top teeth--they're going to pop out any hour now!

We've struggled as a team though. Our breastfeeding team is failing. After nursing my first baby for well over a year, I expected the second to follow suit, and I looked forward to nursing him even longer. As it stands with Paul, at seven months I counted down the days until eight months. At eight months I counted the days until nine months, and now at nine months I really question whether I can make it another week, day, hour, or feeding, let alone to the one year mark.

I won't get into details as to why nursing has been such a struggle, it wasn't so bad the first few months, it's been a process. It started fine, became uncomfortable, then painful, then excruciating. I'm just waiting for it to be unbearable, and we we're close to that point.

Let me make a big distinction, because I don't want to make non-nursing mothers feel bad, as I know mothers who couldn't nurse despite every intention. I can nurse, which is a blessing and something I've very thankful for, therefore, for me to stop nursing prematurely weighs very heavily on me.

The times have shifted, from what I understand. The pressure to nurse to the one year mark wasn't always the case. Now, I'll argue, it's a bigger stigma to bottle feed your baby than to nurse in plain sight, and I've heard many stories of mothers brought to tears defending bottlefeeding as the only way their child could be nourished. I'm a breastfeeding advocate, but this is unfortunate.

So, here I am at a crossroads, trying to put my own pride into perspective, my baby's health, my own health and happiness, and ultimately the expectations I have for the quality of motherhood I'm giving to my second child and owing him what is due. However long we make it as a team, whether it be today or three months or longer, I realize I will be making a sacrifice either way, and either way it is going to hurt.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart feels for you...My kids all quite nursing on their own, except Dave..I had to quit per drs. orders. I was devastated, but quickly realized it was best. You are a wonderful mom and Paul has received all the benefits from nursing. Rachel couldn't nurse some of hers because of pain and would express and then bottlefeed...would this make you feel better? I wish I could find the right words that would bring comfort...In the meantime, I will pray for you and hope you know that I think you are such a beautiful, loving and wonderful mom. I smile just thinking about how great you are with your kids. Love you, Mom S.

Mallory said...

Thank you so much for your support :)

Ugh. This post is pretty ironic, because on Friday morning I woke up SO sick that I had to wake Mark up because I felt like I was going to faint. I went to the clinic that morning and I'm now being treated for mastitis AND thrush at the same time!!! I was pretty miserable.

I'm feeling A LOT better this morning. Hooray for antibiotics, Nystatin and pain medication!!

Anonymous said...

PLEASE call me so that I can babysit or help you out whenever you need it! It really is not imposing cuz I love your boys so much and YOU TOO!

Mom S

Anonymous said...

Oh Mallory, I wish you weren't going through this, I know how terrible it is! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I deliver Caribou and donuts, just call ;-)

"Karen"

Hee hee, still makes me laugh...

Fuzzy said...

Oh, Mallory! I am so sorry that you are feeling bad. I totally understand what you are going through, as I have gone through that with my second AND third child. Each child has been different, and each time I think I will do better and just can't live up to my expectations. You have a beautiful little boy(s), and he has benefitted so much from his time with you. I will add a prayer for you as you decide what is best for YOU, as well as the baby.

Ana said...

Hi Mallory,
I am not sure if you remember me, but I am a fellow household sister, formerly Ana Homol, now Ana Hahn. I happened upon your blog through another friend who frequents it, and yours is the one I have come back to most frequently, as I am not an avid blog reader. I really appreciate your honestly over the nursing issue, I also have a little 9 month old, and while I know my situation is not as extreme, it has had its moments, and I just thank God for each day that I am able to keep nursing. My heart feels for you, and I will offer up a prayer for you.
-Ana

Mallory said...

Ana! Yes, I remember you :) always with a guitar and song! Congratulations on your marriage and baby!!

I'm so glad that you like my blog! It's a little piece of sanity for myself during the crazy days at home.

Just a day at a time, whether it be nursing, potty training, sleeping through the night...let's keep telling ourselves ;) .

Google