Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Living the Gospel

We were eating lunch after Mass on Sunday afternoon when we heard a knock at the door. Mark answered, and it was a door-to-door Jehovah's Witness offering us literature on the Watchtower. Mark didn't say much, but took the brochure and told her he would be interested in reading it. After she left for the next house, Mark and I looked through the "Six Myths of Christianity," with pictures of icons, kneeling faithful, and the Rosary throughout. While some of the "myths" were directed at Christianity in general, the entire brochure was vehementantly anti-Catholic.

We sat at the table dumbfounded. Here we were sitting, having just made the Sign of the Cross to bless our food, having just returned from Sunday Mass, and with icons of the Blessed Mother and crucifixes all around our home, with a brochure telling us that Mary was not the Mother of God, that people do not suffer in Hell, that our souls live forever on earth and not in Heaven, and that icons and images of God are graven and wrong. We couldn't let this go. Our kids were eating at the table and I needed to get them ready for nap, and there were eight loads of laundry waiting to be folded on our couches. I probably should have invited her in, it wasn't the environment where any kind of theological debate could take place. So, I sent Mark outside to wave down the Witness.

I can't write down the discussion verbatim, and really, no one ever wins these debates, you only hope that seeds are planted. But, what really struck me was the way I felt about the whole thing. Reading through the brochure, while it was pure nonsense, I was deeply offended. So many things about the Catholic faith that I hold so dear were being defamed.

It's all wrong? The Gospel, the Cross and Redemption? What about the martyrs, the Saints, the miracles, the apparitions? This 'religion' calls itself Christian, followers of Christ, and yet, they discount it all as myth.

"We can't let this go," we both said. And I'm glad that we didn't. While more flabbergasted than prepared, I'm glad that the effort was made to at least make the distinction that evangelizing starts with living the Gospel, not by telling people that everything they live for is a myth.

Next time, we'll invite them in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My grandmother use to respond the them with "yes, I will read yours if you read about my church"..pretty clever, I think. Maybe, as Catholics, we should be prepared with literature to hand out when the JW and Mormons come knocking on our door. Mom S.

Sarah said...

We usually hand out "Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth" by Catholic Answer. It's very solid and not too long, but it points any non-Catholic in the right direction.

Anonymous said...

Mallory!!!!
a month ago, on a monday morning, 2 young women came to my door. i, in my typical monday morning attire....pjs, had to answer the door b/c helena stood by it yelling 'we are coming!! hold on!!"

i opened the door and these 2 girls were so sweet .we talked for like 15 minutes..they gave me the same brochure..but they were talking about "would you call modern technology a blessing or a curse" and we were discussing how it can be a little bit of both!""

it was great! we seemed to be on the same page. i went on to say how my husband is a youth minister, etc...they asked if they could come back the following week and talk some more and i said "absolutely!"

they never did come back..but when i shut the door and i went ahead and read the pamphlet, i was soo sad...i read out loud what it said about mary...and all the stuff you talked about..and i thought "really? i know that i am not perfect...i know that i fail and i stumble daily...but never..never..would i go around blasting another person for their beliefs...at the core of them at that! and i felt so sad that these girls, whether they knew it or not...were doing that,

My heart was so sad that day, and then I was filled with hope again at the reminder of what we have in the Eucharist...and that I will not be left shaken...I will pray that I can become stronger in my faith...that I can not be judgemental....that I can strive for holiness and not get be sad...but also to pray for them b/c they really are trying to live a life of holiness, but they just don't know what they are missing..and in the process they are doing the exact opposite of what they are setting out to do...

We are supposed to love one another...what about that? At the very basic core...Loving each other...and here we were, attacked in our own homes for what we believe...there is nothing christian in that...but we can pray...and we can love..and we can continue to be an example!

much love to you and your family!!
maria

Google