Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiti

I can't keep my eyes off the television. Despite my better judgment I've allowed my three year old to watch the rubble and listen to reporting. He doesn't understand the devastation and asks things like, "Did the people die like the dinosaurs?"

I feel so helpless. I feel like if I could do something, I would do it. If I could go down there and help, I would do it. If I could bring one of those tiny orphans home and love him like he deserves...I would do it.

But, I have two young children and no medical training. I am of no use to anyone in a third world country. I'm ten years too young to adopt an orphan.

Our parish is taking up a second collection for Catholic Charities, specifically for Haitian outreach. We can do this. It's about all I do.

If you can do something, please do it, even if it's small.

UPDATE:
For information on Project Haiti, listen here to an interview from today

Project Haiti, Inc.
c/o Patty Nelson
123 Minnesota Avenue
Aitkin, MN 56431

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul has had interviews with NPR and other sources. Project Haiti is sending lots of medical supplies needed next week. They are trying to raise funds now. Please pass the word that Project Haiti is a nonprofit, tax deductible LLC and 100% of all monies collected will go to Haiti. Donations can be sent to Project Haiti; c/o Patty Nelson; 123 Minnesota Ave., Aitkin, MN 56301. Dr. Guy has corresponded with Paul and there are thousands of patients coming up to that hospital. Even if the people survive, they are lacking water and disease comes from such catastrophe. We have heard from a couple of our friends, but not all. The hospital in Port has collapsed (where Paul teaches)...I have never seen anything this bad. Paul will be going in March and I am sure will be very busy. Mom S.

Mallory said...

Thank you, I will spread the word...

Anonymous said...

Oops, address is:

Project Haiti, Inc.
c/o Patty Nelson
123 Minnesota Avenue
Aitkin, MN 56431

Thanks, Mal...this has been a tough one for Paul because he has such a strong love for the Haitian people and has many friends that he is concerned about.

Google