Friday, May 15, 2009

Live and Learn

Yesterday, I was feeling a little frisky and decided to play some extra jumpy music for Luke during baby Paul's nap. It was rainy and cold, and we needed to take a break and dance around. Luke, not entertained by the Mandy Moore I was playing (I like to dance to the song 'Candy', I mean, come on, don't you?), started asking for different music.

All of sudden an idea came to me that, looking back, should have stayed an idea. I ran down to our office (aka, dumping ground) and pulled out Mark and my CD's, covered in dust and thrown in a pile ever since the birth of our sacred iPod. I shuffled through the CD's and laughed at the ones that didn't make the iPod cut, not worthy of a slice of my 80 gigabytes. Of these CD's was the one I was looking for, Jock Jams, my very first cd.

From there things went from bad to worse. I put on track 11, Luke grinned and started spinning in circle like a crazyman while screaming "Africa! Madagascar Song!" at the top of his lungs. The song was none other than "I like to move it, move it," which, I came to realize after Luke started singing the lyrics"shake that body nice and sweet and sexy," wasn't appropriate beyond the edited version played in the Madagascar movie.

After a gasp and beeline for the stop button, I remembered a different song on my classic cd that I thought Luke would enjoy. As soon as Luke heard the "Choo Choo," he was sold. He grabbed his Thomas the Train off the floor and "Chugga Chugga-ed," through the house and had me repeat "C'mon Ride the Train," for the next hour. Nothing like some Quad City DJ's to give you a migraine on a Thursday morning.

With anther nippy day we're braving the indoors again, with a full dose of Jock Jams to keep us energized. While it's a break from "Wheels on the Bus," I can't help but think I'm back in the seventh grade again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were afraid of The Chipmunks, but brave enough to play music that would give you flashbacks to those terrible Jr. High dances? ;-)

Mallory said...

It wasn't so much that I was brave, but that I was dumb. I've hidden the evidence and hope that he'll forget all about it...

Maybe you should just give me a sample of the Chipmunks, only if you promise me that it's not actual chipmunks singing. Luke got a Kids Bop CD in his Happy Meal last week, and I managed to get that one in the trash after a day!

Google