Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Obama Drama

We have a new President-elect, and it was no surprise to me. Feeling proud of fulfilling our duty to vote, both Mark and I knew, voting for McCain in Minnesota was merely a symbolic action--the race was called for Obama before any of the precincts reported.

Many people are scared, a little irrational, and disappointed. I still believe we live in a great country, and have faith in our system of checks and balances. Looking at the situation more closely, I've tried to determine what, in the realm of change, will change for me.

For me, smack-dab in the middle class, I need have no fear of higher taxes. My husband, working for a small firm, will be unaffected, and my job working nights in the ER is unexpendable, so no worries there. We're out of college and our children won't go to school until Obama's first term is over, so educational funding and college tuition doesn't affect us. We live in rural Minnesota, the east and west coasts are a world away, and terrorism is a fear we don't live with. National security, so long as we're tucked away in our home, doesn't affect us. Heck, maybe this Obama thing makes sense for us?

No.

Because, while our lives may not change, and our happiness and success goes unaffected by policies and administration, the lives of others will change, which is something we cannot overlook. The unborn will be desecrated in the womb, the disabled will lose their rights for sustenance, and human embryos will further be exploited in the name of science. Teenage girls will get suspended for bring Advil to school, but will get prescription contraceptives and abortions without parental consent.

Further, we'll be stuck. The higher taxes for the more-successful will mean less money pumping into the economy, and fewer jobs created.

Yes, there will be change, and even though we may go on living the same, today is a defeat for those who have no voice. We must continue to fight for them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mal - sad to say that our lives could be affected as I am an employee of a small firm, or small business. It could be that with the increased taxes, that they could no longer afford me. While that may be unlikely in the profession of law (and assuming I start bringing in money), it is possible.

Google