Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Shower Power

In college I was a machine. Most mornings I was out of bed before 6am, on weekends I out and studying by 9:00. I was a slave to my routine and my schedule. The motivation paid off with good grades, never pulling all-nighters or having panic-attacks from unpreparedness. The thought of not showering or getting 'ready to go' by noon was deplorable. Contemplating motherhood and all the ways it would change me, this, I decided, I would not compromise.

I was wrong.

The first six months of Luke's life I never once used an alarm clock. Luke gladly provided me my wake up call. This meant that on most days I wouldn't have a moment to brush my teeth, shower or dress until he took his nap-usually 10:00. Now Luke doesn't nap until 12:00, so I'm determined to find a better way to get up and at 'em.

Let's be honest, it's not that once I'm dressed I'm a knockout anyway. Mark and I were shopping at Kohl's recently when he pointed to a cotton shirt with an attached white collar. He told me "You used to wear dressy stuff like this in college." I actually didn't, but I got the point. I'm not a 'frumpy mom'...not yet at least, but I definitely don't take time to find a jacket, jewelry, handbag, shoes, and belt to match every outfit. Now all I want to do is manage to put myself together in a way that's mildly presentable and I'll be satisfied.

One of my sister-in-laws has nailed it down. With five kids under seven she's up at 5am, exercises, showers, drinks coffee, and is 'ready to go' by 6:30. This sounds like something I can do, and is something I did do at one point. Maybe it's just too easy with one child. As a student I was busy, too busy. With 18-21 credits a semester, working, an RA, clubs, ministries, etc., I was forced to get it together. These flexible days with just one child don't mandate a rigorous schedule, so I don't make one. I know there will be a day when every hour is mapped out in advance and I'm required to stick to it for the sanity of my family, and in many ways I look forward to that day. But, as many will tell me, I need to ENJOY the days I have with one and to love this period, however brief, where Luke and I can literally blow where the wind takes us...dressed for the day or not.

No comments:

Google