Saturday, December 15, 2007

Doorbusters

It's just after 9am and I'm pooped. I was out the door early catching the sales of not quite last-minute Christmas shopping. However, I'm in incredibly good spirits despite the fact that my eyes are burning from tiredness.

There have been many times in St. Paul when I've felt rebuffed by the brusqueness of people. In the middle of the city people keep to themselves. Walking on Summit with Luke it's rare that we get a hello, a smile, or even eye contact. I've fallen into the protocol on many occasions, but I try as often as I can to smile or say good morning to passersby. I don't believe it puts me in any more danger as a lowly girl, and maybe even has the opposite effect by conveying confidence in my surroundings.

Shopping this morning I felt none of that. It might have been that the store was filled primarily with retired age women, but people were genuinely friendly. Everyone was smiling, laughing, commenting on my amazing purchases, and pointing out other deals to me. Everyone loved that I carried around my skinny white mocha and wished they would have had the same idea. I heard "Excuse Me" "Thank You" and "Merry Christmas" continually. I felt at home and comfortable for a rare moment amidst the vastness of a city that I haven't yet called home.

The anonymity of city life can be a breath of fresh air after a lifetime in a small town, and every so often a glimpse of familiarity or a welcome come my way and I truly feel like I belong.

No comments:

Google