Friday, March 26, 2010

Small Successes

Luke has been potty-trained for nearly a year. He does a great job, but because he's a thirsty little guy we've always defaulted to putting a pull-up or diaper on him at night. He always wakes up soaked.

We totally don't care either way, he's a boy and he's just not ready to wake up to use the bathroom. No. Big. Deal.

The last four nights Luke has politely asked to go to bed with no pull-up, no diaper, no-nothing for protection between him and the sheets. We relented, which was hard, since he's never woken up dry before and I really didn't want the likes of his dinosaur sheets hanging from my banister (see post below!)

But, the last four nights he's woken up dry. He's so proud and wakes up so happy to tell us about how "I didn't go pee in my pants!"

If I can't see the accomplishments and things to be thankful for in our simple days, I'm obviously not looking hard enough.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Yay!! Can Luke come give my Simon a few tips? I wonder what the motivation was? So great!

Anonymous said...

Please tell Luke his Mimi is so proud of him....we need to go out next week to celebrate....does he like Caribou?

Mallory said...

Tips? I've only potty-trained one so far, so I'm not expert, and I didn't even really try until he was three, which I guess is kinda late? But, once we did go for it, we went "cold turkey," meaning he wore underpants all the time (except night), and I REFUSED to buy pull-ups, knowing that he would never take the time to use the potty if he knew he could get away with it.

That method worked really well, and he honestly has had very few accidents other than long naptimes. The nighttime thing came as a huge surprise--no motivation other than wanting to be a big boy, I think!

@Mimi, Luke loves Caribou!!!!! (but, who doesn't!)

Sarah said...

That's what we did . . . except I'm hoping the nighttime dryness happens again soon. He used to do it in the beginning and then stopped. Good job Luke!

Google