Monday, March 1, 2010

Media and Early Childhood

I just want to take a moment to acknowledge how appreciative I am for Public Television for my Preschool boy. These shows are not only educational, but they help children to understand that leaning is FUN! While we don't watch a lot of TV around here, I'm happy that on those cold, boring days that we have something that I can let Luke watch without worry...

Sid the Science Kid
Between the Lions
Super Why
Thomas and Friends
Dinosaur Train! (Um , I think this show was MADE for Luke)

There are more great shows on PBS other than these (Sesame Street, Bob the Builder, Word Girl, etc.) but they haven't grabbed Luke in the same way. It's easy to take an approach other than "TV is evil," when you're three year old can sort his dinosaurs into Quadrupeds and Therapods, or when he asks to learn more about caterpillars turning into butterflies.

These shows set off a *spark*, and if parents are willing, those sparks can lead to a fire of learning fun. ;-)

3 comments:

Abby said...

I'm right there with you! Emmy is enthralled by Curious George and Sesame Street. Any time we ever attempt to watch a network show, it bores her (and me!). There just isn't the same quality that you find on PBS. Plus, how great is it that there aren't a zillion toy/sugary food commercials throughout the programs?! And yes, I would have to agree that the producers had Luke in mind when they created Dinosaur Train! Awesome!

Mallory said...

I know, you make a really good point. As soon as your kids start watching Wonder Pets they start begging for Frosted Flakes, Go-gurt, and all kinds of obnoxious toys that you really, really don't need.

I forgot about Curious George! Another good one to add to the list...

Erin said...

Claire had zero interest in learning her letters from me, not for a lack of trying on my part. I tried alphabet flashcards, blocks, place mats, coloring books etc. Nothing. We give Super Why! a shot, and she loves letters. She's sounding things out, recognizing letters and rhyming, it's crazy.

Justin discovered Cartoon Network BOOM a few weeks ago. It shows old cartoons from our childhood like Smurfs. They were having so much fun watching them together. However, since then everyday I field multiple requests for the Barbie doll with the dogs that pee and poop on the newspaper. Thank you commercials.

Google