Monday, November 9, 2009

Let's Name Our Dog!

No, we don't have a dog. Not yet.

Late in August one night I got an itch, a bug, or a case of the crazies if we're really getting specific. All of a sudden, as if I didn't have enough chaos in my life, I really wanted a dog.

The type of dog that we have deemed perfect for our family could be a blog post unto itself (which it will be) and in turn makes me a new breed (no pun intended) of off-your-rocker insane. Rather, I'm posting today about the funnest game our family has ever played, which, coincidentally, is the next step after you decide what kind of dog best suits your family.

Our game: "Let's name our dog!"

We're getting a big dog. A working dog. A giant. Having said that, we have spent hours,yes, hours and hours and hours tossing names back and forth around the dinner table, on car trips, walks, and after bedtime stories. We're out of control.

Having a three-year-old boy with parents who are gluttons for potty-talk, Luke has already exhausted his toilet-themed dog names, which include "Let's name our dog Diaper," "Poopy Pants," and "Booger."

My names are not lacking in creativity, but are slightly more appropriate and include "Norman," "Pharaoh," and "Optimus Prime."

Mark prefers "real" names and leans more toward the Scandinavian persuasion. He would vouch for a name like "Bjorn," although, I don't think Dante is out the question (not all Vikings are of Norwegian descent.) (Do you get that? Did you laugh?)

We are months (at least) from any animal additions in our household, but it's still fun to talk about. Someone should make me stop this silliness.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mal...I may be REALLY playing "let's name our dog". I just fell in love with a couple of puppies..one a labradoodle and the other a schnoodle. Kristin and I have to work on Paul tonight!!! Can you believe this!?!

Mom S.

Mallory said...

I'll just come out and say you're a little crazy :), just like Kristin is crazy and just like I'm crazy ;).

However, we would love to come over and play with your little puppy until we get one of own!

Mallory said...

I was just thinking that now we can have double the fun with "Let's name Mimi's dog..."

Just like little baby faces, I think I'll have to see him first ;)

Anonymous said...

Where do I start with you still on this dog business?!

1. We had Uncle Billy all picked out, but when we met him he just looked too dignified for Uncle Billy, so we went with Bedford. (Both names of "It's a Wonderful Life" inspiration)

2. Last February I swore I was at least three months from getting a dog, we both know how that turned out.

3. I am afraid of big dogs, Dante will have to have garage time when the Smith girls come over to play.

4. There's a Dante on General Hospital, so that's my vote, I get one right? I've picked up a soap lately (Belley insists on sleeping in my arms all afternoon)It's embarassing, but probably not worse then Tyra...

Anonymous said...

Mal, meet us at the Deerwood deer Thursday at 11...they are bringing 3 puppies for Paul and myself to look at and snuggle with...also to see which one we connect with...would love to see you there...

Mallory said...

I think we'll come! We've been sick today but I'm hoping tomorrow we'll be a little better.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking Brett.

Mallory said...

Can I just say that I KNEW that was coming! I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of Minnesota dogs being named Brett this year.

Anonymous said...

O.K., Mal, the puppy everyone picked is a pure white schnoodle with big black eyes and nose...so think of a perfect "boy" name now...

Google