Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Ho-hum

Do you ever have one of those days when you all you feel good for is to be a milk machine, time-out maker, apple juice pourer, missing shoe finder, and Dr. Seuss reader?

They're dangerous.

Those are the days when you want to shout to the world, "Hey, I'm better than this! I have a mind and an education! My ideas are worth listening to! Why, just because I change diapers all day can't I make a positive contribution to this world?"

We already know what we're capable of, but it can be hard when no one acknowledges your non-mothering talents and you feel you have to prove them to the world before you're only identified as the lady with a kid on each hip.

Motherhood is a sacrifice. There is the obvious sleep-deprivation and time consumption, but you also sacrifice part of your identity that you have to fight to hold on to. Whether butcher, baker or candlestick-maker, dancer, writer or team supervisor, while totally devoted to our families, our talents extend beyond dressing a surly kid and calming a fussy baby.

It's a tough balance, and I have to admit, I struggle with trying to prove that I'm more than meets the eye. If nothing else, when I look at someone in a similar stage of life as myself, I can at least make sure to remember that they are more than just a good mom or dad, and make a point to recognize the many-facets and talents each person possesses.

No comments:

Google