Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving

The only Thanksgivings that Mark and I have had as a married couple have been quiet ones. Our first Thanksgiving as a couple was quite memorable. I was newly pregnant, exhausted, and a little despondent about my new job. I wasn't looking forward to making a turkey, as I generally couldn't cook anything decently anyway. Mark was working on getting at least some friends to come and visit us far away in Michigan. I didn't want to be alone, but I was also nervous about the pressure to make Thanksgiving dinner, not to mention that I was nine weeks pregnant the smell of certain foods made me...well, you know.

The day before Thanksgiving Mark woke me up at 2am. We had a visitor. I was tired...no, exhausted, and in my pajamas. No one sees me in pajamas, especially Mark's friends. Mark insisted that I see who was there. I walk into the living room and there's Jenni. I was shocked, confused, and in slight disbelief belief that I might in fact be dreaming. What a surprise! No pressure, no worry, no being alone on Thanksgiving! I called into work the day before Thanksgiving and Jenni and I prepared all the food and hung around in our pajamas all day. The next day we made a great turkey and had a great time just the three of us--pigging out and watching football. Jenni and I learned that even if you don't check both ends of the turkey that it doesn't affect the taste!

Last Thanksgiving Mark and I weren't all alone, we had Luke at four months old. I made the turkey and we spent the day relaxing and playing with our little guy. Even though it was just us, I used our china dishes and lit candles, it was very nice.

We're back in Minnesota now, God-willing for good. We've spent many holidays and special times away from our families and now we're both so thankful that we can share happy memories near both our families. Luke being able to live near his grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins is one of the best gifts we can give him. We are very thankful, and very blessed.

No comments:

Google