Monday, November 19, 2007

Discovery


Next to watching Luke sleep, watching him 'read' is one of my favorite things to do. After studying the importance of language and reading while obtaining my reading endorsement in college, I'm such an advocate of constant language immersion. Of course, Luke at 16 months is years away from actual word reading, but looking at him flip through picture books on a cold day on a comfy chair warms my heart. If he was allowed to drink hot chocolate I think he'd have some in the picture, just to set the mood right.
Having spent many hours as an elementary reading tutor, it breaks my heart to see so many children struggle with language. A poor reader doesn't guarantee a poor student, nor does a good reader guarantee a good student. However, a good reader has the tools he or she needs to obtain the information they want and have a great advantage.
I love to read, and even though I carry a 25 lb baby and equally heavy diaper bag with me wherever I go, there's usually books to go along, both for Luke and me. Living vicariously through Luke, I want him to be a reader, in the same way that Mark wants him to be a Vikings fan. I think Luke has great potential to be both.

No comments:

Google