Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Big Day.

On Monday night I couldn't sleep, I was a mess of anxious nerves. Tuesday morning was our ultrasound. I had no reason to be necessarily worried. After all, there are only an infinite number of problems that could happen when a person develops from one cell into the millions of cells that are present midway through pregnancy (note sarcasm).

I'm getting too old now. I know too much, and worry more than is healthy. People close to me have had difficult news at their ultrasounds. Twenty-something couples with happy hearts have lost their babies at birth, had their babies taken away at birth for major surgery, and have had spent the months after an ultrasound preparing their family for a special needs baby that will change life forever. This is so real to me now, it has hit too close to home too many times. No, ultrasounds aren't exciting for me anymore, they're terrifying.

Today, no news was good news, and I mean "no news" in the most anti-climatic way possible. At first glance, all seems well. We feel blessed and thankful for what we hope to be another beautiful, healthy baby. And, while I was hoping to do a big blogger announcement about our "baby boy," OR "baby girl," I swear, we still don't know! Baby is keeping him or herself covered for the moment, and we will left speculating for the time being exactly who we will be adding to the family this December.

I hope to rest better tonight, in gratitude for the beauty of life.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Prayers of thanksgiving for an uneventful ultrasound! I know this feeling all too well.

Mallory said...

Thank you, Sarah! Yes, it is easy to lose sight during the long days of pregnancy, of how absolutely blessed we are to have healthy children. I just can't seem to pry my eyes off the little photograph I have of my baby's perfectly-formed profile. Ah. Amazing.

Abby said...

It doesn't get old, does it? How can we be so blessed to have healthy, happy children? With each new life, the miracle is even bigger. It's truly amazing.

p.s. I'm trying to imagine you **hypothetically** with a girl. Tee hee. :)

Anonymous said...

yes, uneventful ultrasounds are a blessing!! hannah did this as well, so we guessed "a very modest young lady" or "a boy with no room" but either way, thanking the Lord for a healthy baby!! will you guys try again, or just wait until baby is born? and when is he/she due?

maria

Mallory said...

Because Baby was so scrunched up, there were a few views the tech couldn't get. She thought we might be called for a follow-up, which means there might be an opportunity for baby to reveal him/herself. We will see if I get any calls this week...

I suppose I should share that we are HUNCHING that just MAYBE this might be a girl???!!!!! The tech tried so hard to get a peek, and couldn't really see "boy parts," but couldn't say it was a girl either. I'm not painting anything pink yet, but there is a part of me that is swayed in the girl direction by matter of deduction...I mean, is baby really THAT good at hiding boy parts?? Or, is baby a girl?? Eek!

Anonymous said...

love it!
maria
do keep us posted!

Google