Sunday, February 17, 2008

Media Detox: 2

My quest continues to rid television out our life and out of our family in pursuit of more nourshing means of entertainment. Books I'd read of late that might be interesting to fellow bloggers...

The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett. Straight out of Oprah's Book Club, this is a very entertaining book! It's long, long, long, and toward the end I was begging the story to be over, but the first 800+ pages are a great story with lots of twists and turns.

The Concubine, by Norah Lofts. This might be out of print, but the story itself is highly circulated. It's the story of Ann Boylen. It's not easy reading because of the biographal format, but very interesting. After reading it you, like me, will want to know more about Henry VIII and his many wives. Right now I'm slowly going through a book called The Wives of Henry VII. There are many accounts out there as the story is as fascinating as unbelievable.

After returning The Concubine to my mom's shelf I grabbed Rebecca, by Daphe du Maurier. I'm only 100 pages in, but I'm both hooked and appalled that I've never read it before. But, if you're stuck in the snow or cold, I'd start with Pillars, it'll keep you busy, at least for the weekend.

I have to get my butt to work now :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mal - I am so pleased you liked my books! I can't wait to share more of my favorites!
Mom

Mallory said...

Yes, I do like them! I finished Rebecca last night and started "The Lute Player". I really liked Rebecca, and generally like books about the English upper-class. Have a good day!

samrocha said...

Great to hear this. We have tv for movies only and it has been great thus far...

Google