Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I Kid You Not!

I just read this in February's edition of Ladies Home Journal. I read it three times to make sure I was getting it right.

Question: "My sister treats her pets like family members. I don't have a problem with that, but recently she got mad because I didn't buy holiday gifts for the dog and cat! How should I handle this?"

Answer: "Buy presents for the pets! Not doing so--especially after your sister has expressed how hurt she feels when her "babies" are ignored--could come across as callous. 'Pets are family members,' says Arden. 'They provide love and companionship.' And don't forget to wrap the trinkets with pretty paper and bows. Your sister will certainly appreciate the kind and thoughtful gesture."

Um, are you serious? Apparently. This is ALMOST as bad as the day after our first son was born, I was still in the hospital and Mark shared with a passerby about his new baby. The lady responded how she could relate because she just got a new puppy!

Let's just say that my answer would have been MUCH different.

See for yourself...it's not a joke.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

I think this is so pathetic . . . and sad.

Anonymous said...

How sad...do you think these people have a full deck or do you think our society has deteriorated that much? I tend to agree with both. Yes, I love my new puppy, but gee, never could I put him on the same level as my grandbabies!

I have a little something for Luke (or Paul)...you can decide.

Mom S.

Anonymous said...

The person who answered this HAD to be sarcastic, right?! It's just crazy talk, on top of the horrible answer to then suggest she wrap the gifts, it's got to be a joke! In my world, the answer MUST have been written by some 23 year-old intern who made up an expert's name and is having a good laugh over it being published.

Let's hope that's it...

Erin

Anonymous said...

Mal, how come your blog is getting spam?

Mallory said...

I don't know! It's quite frustrating. I may have to start moderating and making people sign in to comment :( .

Anonymous said...

mal...really? does your sister have kids too? so does she expect presents for the kids and the animals? leah and i only exchange gifts to our Godchildren...

anyway, yes this is how it so often is. i just found a vet for our puppy who is an animal lover (obviously) BUT...she is all "the animal is a pet..." i will not be devastated when Honey dies (if we end up keeping her)..the kids will be sad, esp if she lives long, but to really compare a child and a puppy is just wrong.

For me, I have been having a baby itch. I want another, but I know that i am not ready for one just yet. Now granted, if God would make it so that we become pregnant, we will welcome baby with open arms..but for now, this puppy is bringing life into our home, but she isn't my "baby" or a "sibling" to the kids..she is a sweet new pet that is fun to have..but I still would rather be up in the middle of the night with a baby, than taking this thing outside for a poop..just saying ;)

have a great day! stay warm!
maria

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

ha..oh mal, i totally didn't read the part on the top (or rather it didn't register) that you had read that..i thought it was a conversation you had with your sister...my bad

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mallory said...

No worries, Maria. My sister is not an animal lover anyway, so I'm sure she'll laugh it off. (Right, Ken?)

I'm not a big gift giver anyway, so it's really hard for me to grapple with the idea of people "wanting" presents, because let's be honest, the dog doesn't really care, it's the OWNER who wants you to get something.

Call me crazy, but I'm more into relationships, togetherness and family than wasting money on gifts that don't matter...

Google