Thursday, September 27, 2012

Winter Prep.

Last year was one of those painful years that despite having three boys, nothing matched up, and I ended up needing to buy winter gear for all three children. Ouch!

After several winter coats went through three boys, and being of questionable quality to begin with, two of them were ready to be tossed. I had winter coats in two different sizes graciously loaned to me, but were needed back again. And I was so dissatisfied with our mittens and boot quality that I was willing to make a decent investment in something that worked.

Lands End got us all covered, no pun intended. Last year two boys needed coats, two needed boots, and everyone needed mittens that wouldn't tear, that the thumbs wouldn't get lost in, and that would keep out of their wrists.

This year I'm getting by with one each (in different sizes for different kids) a pair of mittens, boots, and, and snowpants. I just ordered today. It might seem early to some, but in MN, if you wait until the snow actually falls, good luck finding something decent for your kids to wear. Your child will end up wearing a Sponge Bob coat all winter!

FYI: If you shop at Land' End, right now there is a 30% off promotion AND free shipping!!!!

And a question for the veterans out there. I have two perfectly good pair of boots that are perfectly a full size too big for the feet I want to put in them. Am I cruel? Do I REALLY need exact sizes for boots? What would you do???


8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I would say if they can walk easily in them without stumbling or tripping, go for it!

Erin said...

My great find at Once Upon a Child the other week was one pair Land's End boots in Claire's size, and a Columbia pair in Belle's. Jackpot! Such great condition too.

Last year we had no snow, and the year before Belle could hardly walk, so I think this will be her first year actually wearing boots in her own size...

Mallory said...

Thanks, Elizabeth! My 3 year old is the kicker. He's SO much smaller than his older brother, so I'm not sure if I can get away with putting him his boots from last year.

But Erin makes a good point--it's so hard to know if they will even play outside?!?! If there's too much snow it's too hard for even a three year old to play, and when it's really cold, you almost need to be over five to be able to be outside. It's just so hard to know.

Sarah H said...

You might be able to use the ones from last year... For the short amount of time they are outside at a time that might buy you more time till mid winter where you could look at Once Upon a Child or something then (or post winter sales at Lands End). We too are in for a huge purchase from there as 3 of the 5 boys need new winter things.
God Bless!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

layer up on the socks and from what i hear from leah, by the time you get the kids dressed and outside, they are ready to come back in...with budget cost and the fact that you ahve a pair that could be worn, even too big, i'm all for making it work if you can without having to spend more money...just my $.02

maria

Anonymous said...

esp b/c you don't know if the next baby is a boy or a girl..if a boy, sure buying a new pair could be a good investment for the next baby..but if a girl, she might like a pink pair...

Mallory said...

Thanks, ladies! For now, I'm gonna' hold off on the boots for the 3 year old. Maybe a sale will inspire me again.

Hee hee, even IF we ever have a baby girl, sorry hunny, you're wearing your brothers' black boots ;-) . Unless of course they've destroyed them by the time she wears them, which wouldn't surprise me at all...

Anonymous said...

ha! nice!! wasn't sure if you had gotten some boy boots. remember, i don't have boots here in houston so not sure what kind of fun shoes there are for winter..ha! i like black though, and would do the same for the girls if we needed them..

Google