Thursday, November 11, 2010

Transition(s).

Scrolling through this blog, it' apparent that we not only had a busy summer, but that I've had little time to keep up with my occasional (blogging) project. Since my last post, there have been quite a few (extra) large changes that have changed our lifestyle from "stay-at-home" to "survive-at-home."

Here's the scoop. Mr. Hesitant Homemaker got a new job in a new city too far from our home to commute. This was coming. We were open to it, and the new job sent us two hours from our home to a place where there are more license plate for Indian Reservations and Ontario, Canada than for Minnesota.

This means that in the course of three weeks we quit our jobs, found renters for our house, packed everything we owned, moved out of our house and cleaned the dickens out of it for the renters. Then we had to find an adequate place to rent up north, find temporary homes for our animals, and try to maneuver through a community sight unseen.

Have I mentioned that I'm pregnant, too?

Phew! The packing and moving out of the house was by far the most exhausting. Our every-growing Newfie was reeking havoc on every aspect of trying to keep the smell of our house to a minimum, and the toddler in our midst was having a great time throwing as many packed boxes as he could down the stairs. On any given day I was overwhelmed and tired. Uh huh, I'm pregnant and packing--not a good move (no pun intended).

Now that we are at our destination (a cute new house in the woods!); I'm really enjoying it here. I went three weeks without a phone or internet, and while the first few days were difficult, I realized that I actually wasn't missing out on much tucked away in country. I will even go as far as to admit that I am actually a better mother without the distraction.

Being pregnant with two kids with no neighbors in an area where I'm unlikely to run into anyone familiar and more unlikely to make friends without extra effort has been lonely at times, and I'm sure that as the snow falls and the temperature drops that I will feel more isolated still. I will try to take it all in stride and grow ever-closer to my husband and children. And while there have been days when I've been struck down with a pregnancy-migraine, or my body cannot be willed to move after a vigorous day of unpacking, I will try to enjoy this chapter as much as I enjoyed our last one on the cul-de-sac.

I'm looking forward to a switch from blogging about pesky neighbors to a boy who is climbing pine trees for the first time and discovering animal tracks in the dirt road. My little one is the craziest toddler in the land, and now I can let him run free without the worry of lunch time commuters zooming down our street. For me, I just want to be happy and content with what has been given to me, and for life to slow down enough so that I have the opportunity to mentally and spiritually prepare for the changes yet to come when we add another member to the family.

Prayers for a happy fall,
Love,
Mallory

7 comments:

Abby said...

Amazing, Hesitant Homemaker! You just made my morning. :) Thinking of you and praying for a peaceful day! ..and thanks for posting!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Whew! I’m so glad you’re “out” on the internet now, a certain anonymous mommy may have outed you to another Story Hour mommy friend yesterday and was feeling pretty guilty. I’m so glad to have you back, sorry for all the FB harassing, but hey, isn’t nice to have a few crazed fans? I’m glad you’re having fun in the woods up there. I had my first Christmas cup latte today and thought of you.

Love,
Anonymous Mommy

Erin said...

I was just thinking, and, haven't you moved during all three pregnancies?

mark said...

Erin, I *HAVE* moved during each of my pregnancies. Lucky, right? Highly unrecommended.

Also, I want a Christmas Mocha. Mark watched Miracle on 34th, Rudolph, AND Home Alone 2 while he was home today. Ridiculous. For the record, I am a strictly "Advent is the start of the Christmas Season" kind of gal. Sorry for being a scrouge.

Abby, thanks for the encouragement! It feels good to be connected to the rest of the world again!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Mallory, on the upcoming addition to your family! I cannot imagine moving during the early months of pregnancy - kudos to you! Sounds like the north woods are working out well for you all. We live just on the outskirts of Ironton but at the end of a dead-end and it is great; few worries about traffic, but then we did have a bear go through our yard this spring. I'm one who likes the solitude. Glad to hear about all the news in your life and looking foward to reading more entries!

Lorrene

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your pregnancy! When are you due? Nice to see you blogging again too :)
Heidi

Mallory said...

Thanks, Lorrene and Heidi! I am due April 24th, which is Easter Sunday, which makes me 17 weeks now.

I do like being a little removed from more "suburb" style living, and I think we'll adjust fine. The hardest thing is just that we are so far away from all our friends and family. That has been the tough part for me. :-(

Google