Sunday, November 14, 2010

Casual Persuasions.

I swear I'm not a prude, but something has been eating at me lately, and since our move to great wild north, it seems to be intensifying. It has to do with church, and dressing up for church.

Have I lost you? Sorry. I don't mean to offend anyone, and certainly not to judge, it's just something I notice and that is, at times, incredibly distracting.

For instance, tonight at Mass a lector (a reader) was standing reading Scripture at the altar wearing a hooded sweatshirt with black sweatpants, tapered leg and all. I don't mean to judge this person for his particular circumstances, but in general, I find this sort of attire appropriate for sleeping and playing sports; certainly not Mass.

It seems though, that the ultra-casual has become the norm. I absolutely do not believe that a persons attire has anything to do with their relationship with God, or their holiness, but I do think that as a culture we have lost a formality in dressing appropriately for certain events that are set apart from the rest of the week.

Are you getting me?

Mass is set apart. It's different than a run to the grocery store, coffee with friends, or a Saturday doing yard work. If we dress up to go out with our spouse, shouldn't we try to make an effort to dress up for our Creator and Savior?

We should give people the benefit of the doubt, and ultimately the most important thing is that people are at Mass at all. I'm just questioning the week-to-week norm of wearing jeans and T-shirts to Mass, and wondering if we've missed the part of our faith where formality wasn't important simply for formality's sake, but because Mass was set apart from everything else in the week; that it was important and honored respect in dress.

Perhaps old-fashioned in my thinking, but I do think that this important, and do believe that what we display on the outside has a direct impact on our reverence.

Isn't Mass supposed to be a big deal?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

when I was growing up, it was just a known fact that one dressed for church in a somewhat formal apparel. I miss that too. I mean, we are going to the House of Our Lord. I think like you, too, that our dress shows a sign of respect. However, I remember talking with a Lutheran and she mentioned to me that she liked that Catholics dress very casual...she liked that there were no "dress competitions" as in her church. So, that is another way of looking at it....I guess.

Mom S.

Mallory said...

I see what you're saying, and I'm glad that there isn't a "dress code" like I've seen at some churches. I would hate to feel like I'm competing to look nice instead of dressing up for worship.

I will say, however, that sometimes the dress is SO casual that it is actually distracting. It just doesn't fit with the formality of the Mass, and I guess that is the point of my post, that maybe a little more effort could be taken to show reverence.

Thanks!!!

Google