Monday, June 14, 2010

An Addition.

Nearly five years ago I was newly married, living in a small apartment in a big, unfriendly city. Mark was in his first year of law school and was busy. I worked full-time and when Mark got home for the day he often had to leave back to the law library and work late into the night. I was sometimes scared of being alone and wondered what would help me fall asleep, on those nights alone.

During that time was the first time I ever thought about getting a dog. I've written before that I'm not really an animal lover. I'm not. It's a strange relationship, because I really love to learn about animals, and am always up for the zoo, aquarium, or Planet Earth. Some people connect really well with animals and are endlessly entertained by them. I am not one of those people.

Why would someone like me, then, think about getting a dog? Well, I thought that if I looked hard enough that somewhere out there a perfect dog would be waiting for me. Maybe it wasn't so much that I didn't like animals, but that the right one hadn't come along? It got me researching. I had some tough criteria, but to me, it was a win win. Either a perfect a dog would come out of the mix, or we wouldn't get one!

My Criteria:
1. A lazy bum
2. No jumping
3. No "yapping" or restless barking
4. No digging
5. No wandering
6. A loyal companion
7. Anything "high-strong" was immediately disqualified
8. A dog big enough to scare someone with its size, but harmless at heart
9. A dog that I could trust 100% to be safe with young children
10. A dog that could tolerate poking, prodding, and total invasion of space by children
11. Quite the same as the first, I just wanted a dog to be there, but didn't require a lot of exercise or attention. (Not that I want a dog to neglect, just not one that requires the maintenance of a child! I'm stretched thin as it is.)

Surely, I thought, this dog cannot be found. But, five years ago I found a breed of dog that fit each of my criteria. I brought the information on my breed to Mark who flatly said, "No. You're crazy. It's never gonna' happen."

But you know what? It DID happen! A bit over two weeks ago Mark surprised me with our very own Newfoundland puppy!

And, while nearly everyone around called us crazy two weeks ago, it seems that everyone who meets Stout wants a Newfie of their very own. He's that sweet, that wonderful, and oh so perfect. Have I mentioned that he's going to be close to 200lbs? All the more for the kids to climb over. Mark is a believer now, too, and has enjoyed having Stout at our side as we enjoy our summer.

Seriously, he's awesome.

4 comments:

Theresa said...

you ARE crazy.

*i suppose that is like the pot calling the kettle black.*

whatever. he IS super cute!!!!! we've talked about either a newfie or an anatolian. it will happen by next spring i'm sure.

;-)

Mallory said...

Theresa, he's SO easy. My PJ is about a MILLION times more busy and reckless than he is. The first week was busy, busy w/ toilet training, but now he just lays at our feet and follows us outside. When he has to go, he sits at the door for us.

Everyone is falling in love with him ;-) . Oh yeah...and he doesn't bark and wake up the kids from naps! And, he SLEEPS through naptime!

I know (enter sarcasm), getting a dog is SO crazy. Who gets a dog? It's like SO out there for a family to have one. It's like as crazy as say...getting FIVE ALPACAS ;-)!!!!! Love 'ya .

I'm far to tamed, practical, and fussy for this, I know. But I'll say it again, if I want to be mother of two crazy boys, I'd better start acting like one.

Gina D. said...

Awesome, Mal! I've been on the doggie hunt for a while now, too. You are so right in making a list of exact criteria of what you want!! Don't settle for anything less. Congrats on the new addition! I miss you and love you and am happy to follow along on this blog so I can keep up with your life!

Abby said...

Aw, so cute! Congrats on your new addition! :)

Google