Monday, May 17, 2010

While I was Gone...

Unfortunately, I don't have anything monumental to list as a huge accomplishment during my absence. I did do a lot of small things though, and as things go, a lot of small things, in my eyes, can be a life changer.

*I rearranged our toy room/family room. We have an upstairs living area and a downstairs one. Most of the toys are downstairs, but I had been needlessly trying to contain them to a corner. In an act of submission, I moved the play kitchen right next to the window, the train table closer to the fireplace, and basically gave up trying to make the room function as anything more than a place for the children to play. I'll have to post pictures.

*While I refuse to refer to myself as the "G" word, I really started paying attention to what I throwing in the garbage. With very little effort, all our fruit and yogurt cups, and all glass or plastic containers are now cleaned and recycled. We recycled before, but I hadn't really payed attention to all things that could be recycled that I wasn't recycling. For instance, an empty container of sour cream, metal can or box of macaroni. For a family of four, we only fill up 1.5 garbage bags a week now. My reasoning for this change was pretty basic: Everything I throw away ends up in the landfill. If I put it in the recycling, it doesn't end up in the landfill. For things like plastics, dangerous chemicals can end up in the ground, water, and eventually our food. Just trying to do my part and to keep us safer.

*Being a bully isn't part of my nature, but maternal instincts are. Our neighborhood, for better or worse, has a child the same age as my son. Luke is overjoyed at the constant playmate, while Mother has her suspicions. For reasons unsaid, I've taken it upon myself to instruct and direct this unsupervised child when he is at our house playing. After all, my house, my rules. But more importantly--my child! I never knew I had such a backbone!

*Taking baby steps to eat healthier, but failing everyday, I have added to our "healthy list." We started with organic whole grain flax pasta, continued with organic brown rice, and organic homemade spaghetti sauce. These were easy switches, and I was able to buy it all discounted in bulk online, so the cost increase to organic was minimal. Now added to my list are organic eggs and organic milk. I can only buy these at the grocery store, and the cost increase is significant, especially since I make the kids eggs nearly every morning.

*I love Ironman

*I love Ironman

*I love Ironman

*I love Ironman, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Robin Hood, too.

*I've been reading a lot about "Home Birth" lately. I'm not planning a home birth, if that's what you were thinking, it's just something that I've been researching. Late at night when anxiety strikes, I often relive the birth's of my two boys. The trauma of the first birth actually caused the trauma of the second birth! My second baby was nearly born in the car because I was trying to avoid the gown, bed, IV, monitor, epidural, nubane, catheter, and pitocin of the first birth! What if you didn't have to worry about all of that stuff and could just labor and deliver at home? What a thought! Without having done it, I'm a believer now. I never would have predicted that my thoughts against home birthing would change, but now I'm a believer.

*I pluck gray hairs everyday. I'm 26.

*Glad to be back!

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Mal, you are awesome!
1. if you want, my mom and i can set a date and you can come can spaghetti sauce with us in september. completely homegrown/organic!!! plus you learn how!
2. love the homebirth stuff. hayden was a homebirth and i'm planning on doing it again next time around. loved it!!!!!
3. ironman is a favorite too. ;-)

so happy you are back!

Google