Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Lenten Reading.

As a part of quieting the soul, here is a bit of what I've been reading this Lent. This year, since we've been so busy since the Fall, I haven't made the time for reading inspirational, spiritual, or theological writing. In fact, we've been so busy that I've hardly read anything! This is most unfortunate. I may be a busy mother, but keeping my mind sharp and my heart focused cannot be pushed to the wayside. Lent is a happy necessity for this mother.

My Cup of Tea: Musings of a Catholic Mom, by Danielle Bean. This is old hat among Catholic mothers. I've been told to read this book since I was a new mother of one. It is simple, anecdotal, and sweetly encouraging. Every once in a while it's good to have some solidarity in the mothering department. Danielle Bean is good at that. I like knowing after love, the rest is really just details. 

How Do You Tuck in a Superhero? by Rachel Balducci. Again, more encouragement, this time from a mother of FIVE boys! Balducci's blog is on my sidebar. I like reading about boys and all that lies ahead. 

A Love that Multiples, by Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar. I love the Duggars, I won't lie. In this book, they really open up about being parents. I especially love a chapter that Michelle writes to mothers. In it she writes things like "I don't yell," and "I speak calmly and gently," and "I expect very little from young children, so we applaud their small accomplishments." I took a lot in this book to heart. As someone who tries hard everyday to be better mother than I was the day before, I felt challenged, but uplifted, after reading this book.

Nothing in this list is "heavy." After a big move and more projects on the horizon, not to mention three busy boys (two still in diapers, one learning to walk), I need all the mommy-encouragement I can get! I will save Augustine and Therese for the Fall. They will be waiting for me after all the sandcastles have been built and the bicycles tucked away. 

No comments:

Google